Back to School - The ABC's of Naturopathic Medicine
In honour of going back to school this month I've compiled a list of the ABC's of Naturopathic Medicine!
A - Acupuncture
- One of the Naturopathic Doctors treatment options. To learn more click HERE
B - Botanical Medicine
- Another one of the Naturopathic Doctors treatment options. Botanicals can be used as tinctures, teas, or salves to treat a number of conditions. To learn more click HERE
C - Cupping
- A treatment made popular by many olympians this summer in Rio. Involves applying glass or plastic cups to the affected area or meridian using suction. To learn more click HERE.
D - Doula (Labour and Delivery Support)
- A Doula is an individual who provides emotional, physical, and/or informational support to a mother and their family during labour and delivery. To learn more click HERE
E - Echinacea
- A FABULOUS herb commonly used as an immunostimulant in the treatment and prevention of colds and flu's! To learn more about this awesome herb click HERE
F - Fibromyalgia
- A condition characterized by widespread muscle pain, and fatigue. To learn how Naturopathic Medicine can help with Fibromyalgia click HERE
G - GERD
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, a common cause of heartburn. To learn how Naturopathic Medicine can help alleviate your GERD click HERE
H - Homeopathy
- A form of alternative medicine developed in Germany 200 years ago! To learn more about homeopathy click HERE
I - IgG
- Immunoglobulin G, an antibody that is commonly the culprit in food sensitivities. Food sensitivities can result in many symptoms including fatigue, migraines, and hormonal imbalances. To see if a food sensitivity may be the cause of your symptoms click HERE
J - Joint pain
- Many of us will experience joint pain at some point in our lives, whether it is due to injury, arthritis, or another condition. Naturopathic Doctors can help asses the cause of your joint pain and treat the underlying cause. To learn more click HERE
K - Koenigsburg Test
- A simple urine test for Adrenal fatigue. Think you might have adrenal fatigue? Click HERE to learn more
L - Laboratory Tests
- Did you know that Naturopathic Doctors are able to requisition blood work in Ontario? To learn more click HERE
M - Matricaria recutita
- Commonly known as chammomile! A wonderful herb used in anxiety, insomnia, and a variety of other conditions. To learn more click HERE
N - Nutrition
- Food intolerances, nutrient deficiencies, or dietary imbalances have been linked to a number of medical conditions. To learn more click HERE
O - Otitis media
- The medical term for a middle ear infection, common in children. Did you know that there are natural ways to treat ear infections and avoid the use of antibiotics? To learn more click HERE
P - Physical medicine
- Can include soft tissue work, hydrotherapy and much more!
Q - Quercetin
- A type of flavonoid commonly used in the treatment of seasonal allergies! To learn more click HERE
R - Rhodiola rosea
- One of the most commonly suggested herbs in my practice! An adaptogen used in many medical conditions. To learn more about this amazing herb click HERE
S - Seasonal allergies
- Many people have experienced the runny nose, itchy palate, and other symptoms of seasonal allergies. Did you know that there are natural treatments for seasonal allergies? Click HERE to learn more
T - Thorne Research
- One brand of professional grade nutraceuticals used in Naturopathic Medicine. To see a list of professional brands click HERE
U - Upper Respiratory Tract Infections (URTI's)
- Any acute infection targeting the upper respiratory tract, including the nose, sinuses, throat, or ears. To learn more about how Naturopathic Medicine can help you prevent and treat URTI's click HERE
V - Vitamins and Minerals
- Many conditions are caused, or exacerbated by vitamin and mineral deficiencies.
W - Weight Management
- A Naturopathic Doctor can help you identify the underlying cause of weight loss or weight gain. To learn more click HERE
X - Xiphoid process
- X was a tough one - but anatomy saved the day! The xiphoid process is the lower end of your sternum (breast bone) See the Xyphoid process HERE.
Y - Yintang
- An acupuncture point found at the midpoint of the forehead betweed the two eyebrows. Commonly used in the treatment of anxiety, insomnia, headaches and more. To learn more click HERE
Z - Zinc
- We made it to Z! Zinc is an essential mineral required for many functions in our body. To learn more about zinc click HERE.
Good luck to all of those who are back in school this year! Wishing you a year of health and happiness!
- Dr Kendra Clifford ND